Thursday, April 26, 2012

Barefoot Rookie 'keeper

Update from home hives:
I lost three of my four hives this winter, even though it was quite warm compared to last year. My new 3#packages are arriving the week of 5/7 from H+R Apiaries in Georgia.  Last year the hives with the georgia bees collected 60 pounds of honey. They are hard workers and very patient as I rummage around in their hive. I have learned a lot from them.

Also at school we now have three hives. Two well established hives and one maverick. It's quite wild in the maverick hive. It looks like a top bar hive when in fact it is a langstroth. When we opened up the hive last weekend was a riot. I was stung 8 times. A drag. I think we will let them settle down a bit and get the smoker fired up next time.

life as a rookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment